Created on land donated by John D. Rockefeller to celebrate Cleveland’s first centennial in 1896, this 254-acre urban park is set in a ravine between the shore of Lake Erie and University Circle area of Cleveland. It includes a lagoon, rock outcroppings, ornamental plantings, and masonry bridges. The plan was produced by Boston landscape gardener Ernest Bowditch, who in 1894 created a design for the Eastern portion of the Cleveland Parkway System. At Rockefeller Park he inserted a parkway (now called Martin Luther King Jr. Drive) into the park and created retaining walls to contain Doan Brook and form additional parkland. The Works Progress Administration was integral to the project's construction and to the development of the Cleveland Cultural Gardens which reside within the park. The Rockefeller Park and Cleveland Cultural Gardens Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.