Front Park expanded in 1890 when the Park Commission acquired 20 acres abutting the lake. F.L. Olmsted + Co were engaged to design the new lakefront addition, which included a swimming area, boat house and landing, and connecting drives and walkways, though this plan was never fully realized. Lake-View House was replaced by an octagonal bandstand designed by Fred Loverin in 1898. A picnic shelter was added in 1900.
The park underwent significant transformations at the turn of the twentieth century and was gradually encroached by the construction of Peace Bridge, Moore Drive, Baird Drive, and the New York State Thruway between 1925 and 1951. Although some elements of Olmsted’s original design remain intact, the park was reduced by eight acres and the bandstand, terrace, walkways, and overlooks destroyed. The Buffalo Park and Parkway System was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. In 2004 the maintenance and operation of the park system was ceded to the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy.