The Cultural Landscape Foundation (TCLF) is hosting “Masks for Unity,” an online auction of masks designed by landscape architects, architects and other design professionals that will take place now through June 29, 2020. View the Auction Gallery Guide, which includes photographs of each mask, artists’ statements, and biographies, and then bid exclusively online at the One Cause website.
Blank unadorned white pleated cotton masks were hand-made by Alissa Ujie Diamond, a doctoral student in the Program in the Constructed Environment at the University of Virginia. More than 40 design professionals were invited to transform the blank white cotton masks into unique works of art. No restrictions or specifications were imposed. For each mask created for TCLF’s online auction, a mask was made and donated to MASK UP in Charlottesville, VA, and to essential workers. The online auction will benefit TCLF’s educational and advocacy initiatives.
“As landscape architect Ken Smith said: ‘Socially distant doesn’t mean anti-social,’” said Charles A. Birnbaum, TCLF’s President and CEO. “We hope that these masks – whether through humor or solemnity – provide a common, unifying bond during this challenging period of great turmoil.”
Bidding in the “Masks for Unity” auction will conclude on Monday, June 29, 2020. View the works in auction in the digital Auction Gallery Guide and register to bid exclusively online at the One Cause website.
The participating design professionals:
- Tiffany Beamer, OLIN
- Kofi Boone, North Carolina State College of Design
- Pamela Burton, Pamela Burton & Company, and Richard Hertz
- Robert “Bob” Chipman, Robert Chipman Landscape Architect
- Shane Coen, Coen+Partners
- Stuart “Stu” Dawson, Sasaki
- Michelle Jeffrey Delk, Snøhetta
- Angela Dye, A Dye Design
- Gina Ford, Agency Landscape + Planning
- Frederick Fisher, Frederick Fisher and Partners
- M. Paul Friedberg, MPF&P, and Dorit Shahar
- Adriaan Geuze, West 8 Urban Design & Landscape Architecture, and the West 8 Design Studio
- Debra "Deb" Guenther and Dakota Keene, Mithun
- Lisa Gimmy, Lisa Gimmy Landscape Architecture
- Ron Henderson, IIT College of Architecture
- Gary Hilderbrand, Reed-Hilderbrand
- Walter Hood, Hood Design Studio
- William “Bill” Johnson, University of Michigan (ret.)
- Mark Johnson, Civitas
- Mia Lehrer, Studio-MLA, and Michael Lehrer and Edan Kadribegovic, Lehrer Architects LA
- Phoebe Lickwar, FORGE Landscape Architecture
- Joeb Moore, Joeb Moore & Partners
- Oehme van Sweden
- Laurie Olin, OLIN
- James Richards, Jim Richards' Sketchbook
- Mark Rios and Nate Cormier, RIOS
- Martha Schwartz, Martha Schwartz Partners
- Ken Smith, Ken Smith Workshop
- Lauren and Stephen Stimson, STIMSON
- Christine Ten Eyck, Ten Eyck Landscape Architects
- Victor F. “Trey” Trahan III, Trahan Architects
- Susan Van Atta, VAI/Van Atta Associates, Inc., and Ken Radtkey, Blackbird Architects, Inc.
- Michael Vergason, Michael Vergason Landscape Architects, Ltd.
- Edwina von Gal, Edwina von Gal + Co
- Marion Weiss and Michael Manfredi, Weiss/Manfredi
- Marcel Wilson, Bionic
- Sara Zewde, Zewde Studio
TCLF’s programming, including “Masks for Unity,” is made possible by lead sponsors ABC Stone, Bartlett Tree Experts, Vermont Quarries Corp., and Victor Stanley.
Mask images (at top):
Top row, left to right: Phoebe Lickwar, Seed Keeper; Kofi Boone, Not Yet Ancestors: Talking Mask (detail); Gina Ford, Her-oglyphics; Ken Smith, Flower Mask.
Bottom row, left to right: Joeb Moore, Honey Dew; Tiffany Beamer Hope Blooms; James Richards, Connected; Ken Smith, Flower Mask.