In 1911 George Kessler recommended placing a large park on both sides of the St. Mary’s River between the Stellhorn Bridge and Swinney Park. In March 1912, Park Board President Colonel David N. Foster and his brother Samuel M. Foster purchased and donated 67 acres of wooded land along the river. By 1926 the park was Fort Wayne’s largest at 255 acres, more than half of which were donated by the Foster family.
Kessler located Foster Park at the western end of what became Rudisill Boulevard, intending to attract residents to the undeveloped southwest side of the city. His concept was successful, with popular new neighborhoods and development underway within 6 years of the park’s opening.
Today, Foster Park offers extensive flower gardens, three historic outdoor pavilions, playgrounds, baseball fields, tennis courts and a replica of Abraham Lincoln's Birth Cabin. Foster Park also includes the city’s first public golf course, built in 1927. A 1928 footbridge over the St. Mary’s River designed by engineer A.K. Hofer connects Foster Park with Indian Village Park. In recent years, Foster Park has been linked with the Rivergreenway, which follows the banks of the St. Mary's, St. Joseph and Maumee Rivers.