Located six miles east of Pittsfield, this 18-hole course was designed in 1928 by Wayne Stiles. The club’s property occupies a portion of the former Flint Hill Farm which was donated by Frederick Crane, an heir to the Crane & Co. paper manufacturing company headquartered in nearby Dalton.
The club consists of 155 acres surrounded by woods and wetlands. Stiles designed the course to be built in two phases, with the front nine holes completed in 1929; groves of deciduous trees were planted three years later. The back nine holes were completed in 1961, along with the planting of over 2,800 evergreen trees and the establishment of a tree nursery on the land adjacent to the 12th and 14th holes. In 1997, golf course architect Geoffrey Cornish undertook the renovation of the course’s 56 bunkers, with new drainage systems and new sand mounding. Five years later the club initiated the renovation and reshaping of several greens that had deteriorated over the years, and also undertook a renovation of the landscape surrounding the clubhouse, to include a perennial garden and a bluestone terrace.