Founded in 1924 by employees of the Pittsfield Homestead Company, Inc. and General Electric, the country club was established on 120-acres of the former Allen Farm. The land’s rolling hills and rich soils were ideal for growing lush golf turf. A.W. Tillinghast was retained in 1925 to design the 18-hole golf course which opened as a private club in 1928. The clubhouse was also constructed during this time. After a decline in membership and funds due to the Great Depression and the subsequent demise of the clubhouse to fire in 1941, a tight knit group of 75 members signed obligations to rebuild it and to ensure the club’s continued operations.
The course remains faithful to Tillinghast’s design, with evidence of his trademark challenging green complexes as well as interesting routing for each hole. The course takes advantage of the site’s naturally undulating topography, which underlies Tillinghast’s bunkers, constructed ponds, and large sloping greens which are edged by woodlands. Berkshire Hills is the only Tillinghast design in Massachusetts.