Established in 1897, the golf club purchased the 230-acre estate of Sarah Morewood in 1900, including Broad Hall, the property's mansion designed by Henry Van Schaack. The club’s pro, Willie Anderson, who won the first of four U.S. Opens that year, advised on the original 9-hole course design. In 1917, Donald Ross was retained to design and construct an 18-hole layout, a process which took several years due to the rugged nature of the site. In 1928, the board hired Ross again to revise the course; his proposal led the club to retain Wayne Stiles and John Van Kleek to create a new design. By the time Stiles was done, few of the holes remained as Ross had planned them - the playing order was changed, new tees were built, some holes were lengthened, others shortened, and some greens which retained Ross's design were used for different holes. The layout remained unchanged until 1985, when the 8th hole was altered, and again in 2004, when golf course architect Mark Mungeam rescaled some fairways, corrected drainage problems, expanded several greens and added bunkers to challenge the modern game. Stiles's original routing remained intact, and the club remains one of the premier 18-hole layouts in the Berkshires.